Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Leo's Birth Story Part III

Once I was on the bed they checked me and I was 9 cm dilated...ALMOST THERE!  They told me not to push and then they said "We have to get his heart rate up Anna so you need to do what we say."  I was scared but also too occupied to dwell on it.  They had me turn on my sides then get on all fours with my butt in the air.  Then had me on my back again and they started giving me oxygen.  Do you know I don't think there are many things as uncomfortable as I felt at that moment.  My body was literally starting to bear down of its own accord (and I was supposed to stop it), I was coughing alot since I was on my back, the oxygen mask was over my face, and people kept on sticking hands up me (sorry for the visual but we all know what happens during childbirth!) They were using little strips to monitor Leo's heart rate by hooking them onto his scalp which meant they had to get to his head : /
At some point a Doctor had arrived and told me the midwife on-call was busy delivering another baby so she would be there with me.  After a little time had passed (I really don't know how long, it could have been a minute or two for all I know but when you are that uncomfortable it feels alot longer.)  someone said that Leo's heart rate had dropped to 50 bpm and that if they couldn't get it back up then we would need a c-section.  At some point the Dr. came and told me, "Anna we have to take you to the OR to get prepped for surgery.  We will check you one last time to see if you are ready to push but if not we need to be ready to get Leo out."  They had me get on my hands and knees with my butt in the air, threw sheets over me and started wheeling me down the hall.  I don't know if I said it out loud but I was at least thinking "Can Evan come with me?"  I do think I reminded Evan about doing skin-to-skin.  Before I even went into labor I told Evan that if I was not able to do skin-to-skin for whatever reason that he needed to do it so Leo would have that important bonding time.
Unfortunately, Evan wasn't able to come with me into the room as they would need to use General Anesthesia since I hadn't had an epidural.  My (best) worst case scenario was having to be put under and missing Leo's birth and it looked like we were headed in that direction.
Once we got in the OR I was asked to climb onto the operating table (no small feat in my condition) and they started prepping me and they checked me.  A vaginal birth was a no go as I was still at 9 cm and his heart rate was only at 110 bpm...
Last thing I remember was being told I was doing a good job.
 While I was under I am told it took them only a few minutes to cut, open me up, and pull Leo out.  I am told he was screaming before they got him on the table.  His apgar was an 8 at 1 min and a 9 at 5 mins.
Leo Kipling Weaver had arrived at 7lbs 15oz and 21.25 inches long.




First photo with Mimi

The reason for all this hubub... he had the cord wrapped 4 times around his neck.  He didn't have enough traction to descend without injuing one or both of us.  I guess some things work out for the best in the end but I am sad about missing that special moment, those first minutes of his life.  I had been imagining those minutes since before I got pregnant and I guess I will have to go on imagining.  Evan was able to meet him when he was only 2 minutes old and did as I asked with the skin-to-skin.  Leo and I are lucky to have him.
I was left to be stitched up and put back together.  While Evan and my mom went with Leo, I was taken to a recovery room, two actually and I'll spare you the agonizing details of being denied water and coughing right after having major abdominal surgery.  OUCH!  It was two and a half hours before I was able to meet Leo even though I was awake for at least an hour of that.  I realized later I didn't get to meet him on his birthday...it was 1:30 am on the 22nd when we were introduced. : ( Below is a video of Leo being handed to me for the first time...  I can't express how I felt in that moment.  It was too much to handle almost.


Meeting my baby

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I found your blog after doing some "googleing" after being diagnosed with a complete placenta previa. Time after time, I hear all the bad stories--and I found a lot of comfort reading your story. Thank you for sharing. I learned a lot through reading, and I must say, you are a beautiful writer as well. I don't usually stalk down random bloggers and comment, but I just so appreciated you sharing your life and I had to tell you how it really gave me comfort. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete